I’m a creature of habit… even when it comes to paint. I have only two lines of paint that I work with — one chalk-style paint and one milk paint… and until recently hadn’t dabbled with others, because why change a good thing right?! 🤷🏼♀️
HOWEVER, I did a few pieces back give a third paint line a try because they carried a colour that I had been aching and longing for — a grey-green! When ordering that colour, I figured why not order a few more of their colours that catch my eye… Aubusson Blue by Annie Sloan was amongst those few… and I’m so glad I ordered it! If you keep reading this post, perhaps you too will agree it was a good thing to try!
follow along on
My Bowed & Bevelled Bureau process:
- Removed original bevel mirror ~ ever so carefully for ease of product application
- Removed original hardware ~ with plan to polish and maintain
- Replaced missing casters ~ two of the four were missing the wheels…which is exactly why I keep all spares on hand
- Heavily sanded down top and other portions ~ To prepare for stain application
- Lightly sanded down remainder ~ to prepare for paint adhesion
- Thoroughly vacuumed and washed ~ certainly required before transforming preloved furniture
- Applied 3 coats of ANNIE SLOAN CHALK PAINT in the Colour ‘Aubusson Blue’ to the body and drawers ~ named after the blue found in classic Aubusson rugs from France, this dark teal colour is inspired directly by the development of Prussian Blue in the late 18th Century
- Sanded down for a buttery smooth and slightly distressed finish ~ for the farmhouse chic look I adore and always strive for
- Applied 2 coats of FUSION ‘Stain & Finishing Oil (SFO)’ in the colour Cappuccino to the entire piece (wood and painted areas) ~ a wood conditioner, stain and top coat all in one… I absolutely love how it deepened and enriched the Aubusson blue; and how it made the oak thrive again
- Polished the original brass pulls ~ oh how my heart sings when all the original hardware is in place
- Decoupaged drawer-sides and bottoms with Re-Design with Prima’s DARK DAMASK TISSUE PAPER ~ my hands-down favourite pattern
Some pieces tick all the farm charm boxes, and this vanity style bureau is certainly one of those pieces! Quarter sawn oak, dovetailed drawers, curved caster legs, bowed drawer fronts, bevel harped mirror, original brass pulls! Tick, tick, tick, tick, tick, tick! A moderately sized piece, well-suited for many spaces! The oak on this piece was in such lovely condition, I just had to go with a two-toned transformation! Whether you desire a farmhouse, swedish, or scandanavian interior design; the rich blue with grey undertone, and solid oak accents in this piece will be well-fitted for all of the above decor styles! An entryway statement, a foyer accent beneath your stairwell, a guest room vanity dresser, a hallway charmer. A swooner in any settled space you so choose!
* All of my furniture pieces are preloved, with expected signs of age and use — sweet imperfections which I believe adds to their unique character and charm.
❤️ This Bowed & Bevelled Bureau ~ SOLD to Jackie ❤️
Dimensions: 34″+34″ H x 40″ W x 22″ D
I hope you visit again! My #farmlifebestlife awaits more simple living, generous loving and constant learning — graced with an abundance of farmhouse chic character and sweet imperfections, both for me and for YOU! ❤️
This post contains links to products I personally use, trust, and highly recommend, for which some I receive limited discounted use of.