Isn’t it funny how some memories (no matter how silly), always stick with you and always make you smile?! 🙂
I’m the lil’ sista to 2 big brotha’s, and OH do I have a lot of memories from growing up with them! Although there was many times I thought I might die — I also then and now know that “what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger”! Thanks to years of being tormented by 2 big brothers, I like to think I’m a pretty tough cookie and can handle almost anything thrown at me!
In our earliest years of growing up, we lived in an old farmhouse — and it is those early years that I hold some of my strongest and fondest memories — including the “drum table” memory! We were around the ages of 2, 3 and 4… and Sharon (a neighbour down the road, now our Aunt) was babysitting us one night. Although I’m sure the night started off well, it didn’t end so well. Sharon was in tears because she couldn’t find my brothers! I guess she didn’t think to look in here:
Little buggers right?! And it’s important to take note that I wasn’t involved in this little shenanigan… I was the good lil’ girl that always stayed out of their trouble! 😉
When I came across this charming drum table, I couldn’t help myself from chuckling about this particular memory — and I of course had to have this piece! From the moment I saw it, I knew EXACTLY how I would transform it!
The first thing I did after bringing it home was tried to climb in it and hide… but that didn’t go so well for me! LOL! So instead of playing hide n’ seek I got down to restoring:
- Stripped and sanded top, and lightly sanded body
- Stained and varnished top with Varathane’s ‘Premium Wood Stain’ in the colour ‘American Walnut’, and ‘Fast Drying Professional Clear Finish 1100 Satin Oil Based’, followed by a light distress with sanding block
- Applied 2 coats of Country Chic Paint’s ‘All-In-One Decor Paint’ in my absolute favourite colour ‘Cheesecake’ to the body ~ Cheesecake is the most charming farm house white <3
- Applied 1 coat of Country Chic Paint’s ‘Furniture Glaze’ in the colour ‘Smoky Quartz’ to the body ~ using glaze is a great way to add an antique, patina look to your project and bring out the fine details <3
- Applied 1 coat of Country Chic Paint’s ‘Natural Wax’ to the body
This piece is for YOU, and although you could certainly try to hide in it… I am certain you will find a much more charming use for it in your home! And I am also certain that you too will one day look back on the memories it is sure to create!
I hope you visit again! My #farmlifebestlife awaits more simple living, generous loving and constant learning — graced with an abundance of country chic character and sweet imperfections, both for me and for YOU! ❤
Love the story, thanks for sharing your beautiful work !
Thank you so very much Libby! I appreciate you stopping by, and hope you do again sometime! <3
Oh my gosh- what a great story! It’s hilarious that 2 little boys could fit in there. Love those old tables. You certainly have an eye for taking a plain piece and making it absolutely stunning. Beautiful job.
If you could see those 2 ‘little’ boys now, you’d really be asking yourself how they fit in there! Ha! <3
Ha ha! I bet so! I wonder what they did in there. It’s pretty good that two boys could be in such close quarters and remain quiet.