Life certainly has interesting ways of teaching and awakening us doesn’t it? Showing us who genuinely cares about us, and what truly matters in our life. Sometimes these lessons are tough to swallow, and sometimes they’re exactly what we need for the better.
I’ve been at this craft for a few years now, and I’m absolutely humbled by the people that support and cheer for me. Some acquaintances in my life that I never would have imagined it from, and some people that I’ve never even met; only virtually acquainted rather. Day after day, these incredibly kind folk flood me with encouragement, praise, and complimentary kindness. It’s enough to make a modest farm girl blush from head to toe I tell ya! 🤗
Alongside that, there’s the tough opposite — people that I’ve known for many years, if not my entire life — and not a word from them. People that I’ve done my best to support and cheer for, and for unknown reason they don’t return it. This has been somewhat puzzling and hard on me, but I’ve recently come to taking it as a good thing, rather than a bad thing. It’s a good thing, because it’s teaching me to shift where I put my time and heart.
This craft has also allowed me to meet so many new fabulous people! People that I buy from and sell to! Including the very kind couple I purchased this unique and interesting antique piece from this spring! I so enjoyed my drive out to Oakbank, Manitoba to pick this rare lovely up!
follow along on
My Seaside Secret Secretary process:
- Removed original hardware ~ oh how my heart sings when ALL of the original hardware is intact… a rare and sweet occasion!
- Removed glass panes and inserts ~ oh so carefully
- Performed work-around for drawers that were missing portions of the border appliques ~ completely removed and BONDO to the rescue
- Lightly sanded down entire piece ~ To best prepare for product adhesion
- Thoroughly vacuumed and washed piece ~ certainly required before transforming any piece of preloved furniture
- Applied 3 coats of ZINSSER B-I-N SHELLAC-BASE PRIMER to entire piece ~ to prevent what I knew with all certainty would be terrible mahogany bleed through
- Created my own custom blend colour of COUNTRY CHIC PAINT Chalk Style Paint with 2 parts ‘Sunday Tea’ / 1 part ‘Driftwood’ ~ for a darker greige colour that I was after
- Applied 2 coats of COUNTRY CHIC PAINT Chalk Style Paint in a variety of blended colours to the interior, top and body (Sunday Tea / Driftwood, Dune Grass, Simplicity) ~ for a seaside coastal cottage look I was envisioning
- Sanded down for a chippy and buttery smooth distressed finish ~ for the farmhouse chic look I adore and always strive for
- Applied 3 coats of my go-to Varathane ‘DIAMOND WOOD FINISH‘ (water-based, satin) to entire piece ~ for top-notch protection
- Polished and reinstalled Hepplewhite pulls and hinges ~ BRASSO to the rescue
- Reinstalled glass panes and inserts ~ oh so carefully
- Decoupaged drawer-sides with Re-Design with Prima’s DISTRESSED DECO ~ a lovely pattern that I felt paired so nicely with this transformation
I envisioned a seaside coastal cottage transformation for this extremely unique and interesting antique piece! A beachy blended bureau with quaint and cozy storage and decor appeal. A secretively sweet drop leaf secretary that oozes cottage country charm. A statement piece for your foyer, an accent for your hallway, a tidy writing desk for your office or den. Transformed in a blended coastal colour palette for beach inspired decor.
* All of my furniture pieces are preloved, with expected signs of age and use — sweet imperfections which I believe adds to their unique character and charm.
❤️ This Seaside Secret Secretary ~ SOLD to Michelle ❤️
DIMENSIONS: 38.5″ H x 46″ W x 16″ D
I hope you visit again! My #farmlifebestlife awaits more simple living, generous loving and constant learning — graced with an abundance of farmhouse chic character and sweet imperfections, both for me and for YOU! ❤️
This post contains links to products I personally use, trust, and highly recommend, for which some I receive limited discounted use of.
What a beautiful job you did! This is gorgeous! Such an unusual piece of furniture. You don’t worry about those other people. We are all here for you!
Thank you so very kindly Shawn! I truly appreciate your kindness and support! I feel so free and relieved! This awakening has encouraged me to stop trying with people that don’t want to try with me, and to put all my time and heart in places and with people that nurture it! 😌❤️
Faye, once again absolutely beautiful work, I love it, you inspire me to want to get back and paint a project, just waiting for that right piece. I always tell my kids and myself : surround yourself with positive people, surround yourself with people who are fun, stay clear from negative people, take away all titles and they’re all just people, if they’re nice then hang around them, if they’re not nice people then stay away from them, simple as that 💞
Simple and sweet advice Mama! My challenge has been that these are nice people… but for unknown reason they don’t support me as I’ve supported them. I guess we can’t figure everyone out, and one never knows what others might be battling. Onward and upward right?! 😌❤️