I’m not a full on furniture hoarder I swear! But maybe a partial one?! Given that I picked this piece up 9 months ago (May 2021), and I didn’t get around to flipping it till now… I guess you could call me a partial one. 🤷🏼♀️
I only procrastinated getting started, because I knew this transformation was going to be a tonne of work… which is certainly OK… but I prefer flipping pieces that I can reach the finish line a little swifter.
But let me tell you… I’m so glad I didn’t wait much longer… because this folks… I feel is my favourite flip yet! 😍
I’ve seen quite a few roll top desks in my feeds… all of which would make for lovely transformations… but this one took the cake! It’s the first and only roll top that I’ve come across that ticks all of my farmhouse dreamy boxes — Solid Oak, Swinging Doors, Lion Feet, Finished Front-to-Back! Despite the tambour missing, I knew it would make for a charming open concept show stopper! So… I snagged it stat!
follow along on
My Roll Top Rediscovery process:
- Removed original hardware ~ with plans to replace, given much of it was missing
- Filled original hardware holes ~ with a combo of Bondo and Wood-Filler
- Repaired extensive damage to the one side of top ~ Bondo when Wood-Filler simply isn’t enough
- Lightly sanded down body/drawers/doors, and heavily sanded tops/cubby ~ to prepare for product adhesion
- Thoroughly vacuumed and washed piece ~ certainly required before transforming preloved furniture
- Applied 2 coats of COUNTRY CHIC PAINT in the colour ‘Liquorice’ to the body/drawers/doors ~ a deep charcoal black that can be either classic and timeless, or elegant and modern
- Applied 1 coat of COUNTRY CHIC PAINT in the colour ‘Crinoline’ to the drawer-sides and door-interiors ~ in preparation for decoupage paper; an almost pure white with a very subtle pink undertone that makes for a delightfully warm and inviting feel
- Sanded down for a buttery smooth and slightly distressed finish ~ for the farmhouse chic look I adore and always strive for
- Reinstalled doors with new hinges ~ the ad for which caught my eye, displayed only one door… but a simple inquiry led to me learning that one of the doors was simply missing its’ hinges… thus wasn’t included in picture
- Applied a generous coat of COUNTRY CHIC PAINT Hemp Oil to the entire piece (including drawer interiors) ~ for a light water-resistant protectant
- Stained and polyurethaned tops and cubby (colour ‘Jacobean’) ~ for a two-toned transformation
- Purchased and installed new ‘Floral Suite Hardware‘ ~ personally selected from Lee Valley
- Decoupaged drawer-sides and door-interiors with Re-Design with Prima’s DARK DAMASK TISSUE PAPER ~ my hands-down favourite pattern
Built for royalty! Rumor has it that the roll top desk was born out of a royal request. Certainly believable given its’ elegance wouldn’t you say?! Although it served as a writing desk in the early 1900’s, its’ attractive features carry timeless offerings holding a bit of the past while being useful in the present. Once used to stash stamps, quills, and letter openers — the abundance of cubby storage, drawers and cupboards can now be opted for chargers, car keys, reusable grocery bags, coffee change… basically anything you need to grab on your way out the door. An ageless piece that will add historic charm to your office, sunroom, hallway, or staircase foyer. Where will your home grace and rediscover the beauty, quality and functionality of this solid oak antique rarity?! With its’ finish front-to-back, what a statement it could make open or placed against an exposing window! P.S. — Black is so incredibly difficult to picture. My pics don’t do this piece justice! You just gotta slip out to our farm to see it… or believe me when I tell you, it’s far more beautiful in person!
* All of my furniture pieces are preloved, with expected signs of age and use — sweet imperfections which I believe adds to their unique character and charm.
❤️ This Roll Top Rediscovery ~ SOLD to Brianna ❤️
DIMENSIONS: 45.5″ H x 42″ W x 28″ D
I hope you visit again! My #farmlifebestlife awaits more simple living, generous loving and constant learning — graced with an abundance of farmhouse chic character and sweet imperfections, both for me and for YOU! ❤️
This post contains links to products I personally use, trust, and highly recommend, for which some I receive limited discounted use of.
Shop Country Chic Paint Online
Shop online at Country Chic Paint today! ❤️