I’m so very grateful for my craft. This Summer more than ever. The heat is relentless, land conditions are dangerously dry, and everything is withering away. My heart is full of worry for all affected by this terrible drought. In all my 47 years as a farm girl, daughter, sister, mother, and wife… 2021 has thrown me in the fight ring head first. Mother Nature isn’t phased by my punches! Everyone needs an escape from worry, and for me that is painting and transforming pre-loved furniture!
I’ve been patiently waiting for a secretary cabinet like this! This is the only one of this style that I’ve come across to-date… thus I scooped it up VERY quickly when I came across it. My girl and I had to drag it out of a basement, and carry it up a horrendous flight of stairs to get it into my queue… but so worth it! Side note… I buy my girl a coffee, an ice-cream, or a chocolate treat every time she so graciously accompanies me to pick up a piece! She’s the sweetest, and deserves all the sweet things in life!
follow along on
My Cottage Country Cabinet transformation process:
- Removed original hardware ~ with every intention of maintaining
- Disassembled desk nook and glass/frames ~ to ease paint application
- Lightly sanded down ~ to prepare for product adhesion
- Thoroughly vacuumed and washed piece ~ certainly required before transforming preloved furniture
- Applied 2 coats of COUNTRY CHIC PAINT in the colour ‘Sunday Tea’ to the body ~ a warm greyish colour, not quite grey and not quite beige; resulting in the most charming neutral tone
- Applied 2 coats of COUNTRY CHIC PAINT in the colour ‘Dune Grass’ to the interior ~ a beautiful duck egg blue with soft hints of grey and green
- Applied 2 coats of COUNTRY CHIC PAINT in the colour ‘Driftwood’ to select areas ~ but later decided that I preferred Sunday Tea throughout
- Sanded down for a buttery smooth and slightly distressed finish ~ for the farmhouse chic look I adore and always strive for
- Applied 2 coats of Varathane’s ‘DIAMOND WOOD FINISH‘ (water-based, satin) ~ to achieve a crystal clear, water-resistant, and highly durable finish
- Decoupaged bottom and sides of drawers with Re-Design with Prima’s Patina Flourish TISSUE PAPER ~ a lovely compliment and pattern for this transformation
- Reinstalled door glass/frames ~ ever so carefully… as I’ve been known to break “a few”
- Reinstalled original hardware and new door clasp ~ I so love when all the original hardware is in place when I pick up a piece
A secretary statement with a sweet inside surprise! A timeless piece for your home or cottage. Personally… and if only I had a large lavatory, I would be all over this piece for storing linens and toiletries… cuz even bathrooms deserve some pretty! However… that’s just my envision! So many other options! Foyer statement, Dining charm, Hallway accent, Porch lovely, and more! A delightfully quaint cabinet with darling cottage charm for YOU!
* All of my furniture pieces are preloved, with expected signs of age and use — sweet imperfections which I believe adds to their unique character and charm.
❤️ This Cottage Country Cabinet ~ SOLD to Jocelyn ❤️
DIMENSIONS: 80″ H x 31″ W x 15″ D
I hope you visit again! My #farmlifebestlife awaits more simple living, generous loving and constant learning — graced with an abundance of farmhouse chic character and sweet imperfections, both for me and for YOU! ❤️
This post contains links to products I personally use, trust, and highly recommend, for which some I receive limited discounted use of.
Get 10% OFF Your First Country Chic Paint Order (see image below for coupon code)
Shop online at Country Chic Paint today! ❤️