How long does it take for paint to naturally chip, crackle and flake? ANSWER: Far too long! Thankfully Homestead House Paint Company’s MILK PAINT speeds that lovely process up tremendously! Like instantly!
When working with milk paint, I personally find that antique dressers with some of the original varnish remaining enhances the chippy, crackling, flaking outcome! So when I see dressers like this tiger oak tallboy, I scoop them up and mix up my milk paint STAT!
follow along on
My Chippy Charm Chiffonier transformation process:
- Removed original hardware ~ while contemplating whether to maintain or replace
- Heavily sanded down top ~ with plans to stain/varnish
- Thoroughly vacuumed and washed piece ~ certainly required before transforming preloved furniture
- Applied 1 coat of ZINSSER B-I-N SHELLAC-BASE PRIMER to interior drawers and glides ~ to prevent highly anticipated bleed through from extensive ink stains
- Applied 3 coats of HOMESTEAD HOUSE MILK PAINT in the colour ‘Craftsman’ to the body and exterior drawers ~ A fun soft mid-tone green, classic from the Craftsman era… a beautiful statement on any piece
- Force chiseled body and exterior drawers ~ for desired chippy
- Sanded down for a buttery smooth and slightly distressed finish ~ for the farmhouse chic look I adore and always strive for
- Applied 2 coats of Homestead House HEMP OIL ~ for a light water-resistant protectant
- Stained and varnished top with MINWAX ‘Jacobean’ Wood Finish Stain, and Wipe-On Poly ~ for a two-toned transformation
- Decoupaged interior, sides, and select fronts of drawers with Re-Design with Prima’s WASHED DAMASK DECOUPAGE TISSUE PAPER ~ a charming pattern that is rapidly becoming my fav!
- Decided to purchase and install new Die-Cast Bail Pulls hardware, as I was finding the original far too dull ~ Lee Valley adds my final touch of charm
Waiting for that perfect farmhouse find dresser?! One pulled right out of an old farmhouse that is oozing with farm charm?! I feel ya! Waiting for such a find can seem like forever… like as long as it takes for paint to naturally chip n’ crackle… which takes about a 100 years! Thanks to the charm of MILK PAINT, I’ve sped up that lovely process tremendously! This chippy charm chiffonier oozes all the farmhouse feels, transformed in a soft mid-tone green and accentuated with a darling damask pattern decoupage. How lovely would this tender tallboy be in your home or cottage?! I transformed it just for YOU!
* All of my furniture pieces are preloved, with expected signs of age and use — sweet imperfections which I believe adds to their unique character and charm.
❤️ This Chippy Charm Chiffonier ~ SOLD to Becky ❤️
DIMENSIONS: 45.25″ H x 32″ W x 18.5″ D
I hope you visit again! My #farmlifebestlife awaits more simple living, generous loving and constant learning — graced with an abundance of farmhouse chic character and sweet imperfections, both for me and for YOU! ❤️
This post contains links to products I personally use, trust, and highly recommend, for which some I receive limited discounted use of.
Get 10% OFF All Homestead House Orders (see image below for coupon code)
Shop online at HOMESTEAD HOUSE today! ❤️