If I don’t love it, I ain’t listing it! Sometimes you just gotta walk away, get some rest and start over tomorrow. That was very much my experience with transforming this piece. What you’re about to see was NOT my first attempt; my second rather. Although I was somewhat satisfied with my first stab, I kept going back to it and saying “Nope… I’m just not feeling it!” So I walked away, got some sleep, and started over the next day… and gosh darn it, I’m so glad I did… cuz I’m now most definitely feeling it!
follow along on
My Liquorice Tea transformation process (2nd attempt):
- Removed glass pane ~ unfortunately it was so frail that it cracked while removing 🙁
- Refastened broken applique ~ so glad prior owner tucked the broken pieces away
- Filled additional shelving holes with wood filler ~ because I felt they distracted the charm
- Installed new glass pane ~ with clear silicone and wood trim moulding
- Lightly sanded down entire piece ~ to prepare for product adhesion
- Thoroughly vacuumed and washed piece ~ certainly required before transforming preloved furniture
- Applied one coat of ZINSSER B-I-N SHELLAC-BASE PRIMER to the shelving and cupboards~ to prevent highly anticipated bleed through
- Applied 2 coats of COUNTRY CHIC PAINT in the colour ‘Liquorice’ to the body ~ a deep charcoal black that can be either classic and timeless, or elegant and modern
- Applied 2 coats of COUNTRY CHIC PAINT in the colour ‘Sunday Tea’ to the shelving and cupboards ~ a warm greyish colour, not quite grey and not quite beige; resulting in the most charming neutral tone
- Sanded down entire piece for a buttery smooth and slightly distressed finish ~ for the farmhouse chic look I adore and always strive for
- Applied Wise Owl Paint FURNITURE SALVE in the scent ‘Teakwood Amber’ ~ a delightful product combination of hemp oil and wax… revive, rejuvenate, and protect/seal all in one easy step
- Installed new matching set of knobs from Lee Valley ~ Characterized by pearled borders and a leaf motif, solid brass with an antique brass finish
I simply adore these antique Side by Side Secretaries! So much versatility! Lovely and quaint pieces that offer it all… storage, statement and charm! Where might you see this timeless piece in your home or cottage? Lavatory cabinet? Living Room book shelf? Hallway linen storage? Foyer statement piece? Kitchen recipes and knick-knacks? If I had a nook or space for it, I would most certainly charm it with my love for weathered terracotta, farmhouse finds, old books, and warm wicker… just as you see how I’ve done in these photos! Black is so very difficult to photograph… my pictures simply don’t do this darling justice!
* All of my furniture pieces are preloved, with expected signs of age and use — sweet imperfections which I believe adds to their unique character and charm.
❤️ This Liquorice Tea ~ SOLD to Brianna ❤️
DIMENSIONS: 64″ H x 36″ W x 11″ D
I hope you visit again! My #farmlifebestlife awaits more simple living, generous loving and constant learning — graced with an abundance of farmhouse chic character and sweet imperfections, both for me and for YOU! ❤️
This post contains links to products I personally use, trust, and highly recommend, for which some I receive limited discounted use of.
Get 10% OFF Your First Country Chic Paint Order (see image below for coupon code)
Shop online at Country Chic Paint today! ❤️