“Never judge a book by its’ cover.” Words all Mama’s tell their children. Mama’s are wise. Listen to your Mama.
When my girl and I were driving to go pick up this buffet, I said to her “OK… so I’m warning you now that you’re going to think I’m crazy when you see this piece… from what I could see in post, it looks quite dreadful and likely needs a tonne of work to restore it… but trust me, it’s a classic vintage empire and it’s going to make for a whopper of a transformation!”
When we were carrying it to my vehicle… it was literally falling apart… the piece holding the mirror in place fell right off, the bottom drawer fell completely apart, and those little wood panels you see in the cupboard doors… well they weren’t attached… completely detached, warped and most certainly not salvageable.
BUT… the overall body was strong and solid like an ox. I know… extremely dirty, a bit of a gamble, and somewhat worrisome. Hmmm… kinda sounds like farming. I’m in!
follow along on
My transformation process:
- Removed mirror ~ worth the time and effort to ease product application
- Removed wood hardware and wood-filled holes ~ with plans to replace with something far more charming
- Mended damaged drawers ~ with a little help from my hubs
- Prepared and installed antique ceiling tiles for door replacements ~ with even a little more help from my hubs
- Lightly sanded down entire piece ~ to prepare for product adhesion
- Thoroughly vacuumed and washed entire piece ~ certainly required before transforming any piece of preloved furniture
- Applied 2 coats of Country Chic Paint in the colour ‘Liquorice’ ~ a deep charcoal black that can be either classic and timeless, or elegant and modern
- Sanded down for a buttery smooth and slightly distressed finish ~ for the farmhouse chic look I adore and always strive for
- Applied Wise Owl Paint Furniture Salve in the scent ‘Riotous Rain’ ~ a delightful product combination of hemp oil and wax… revive, rejuvenate, and protect/seal all in one easy step
- Stained and varnished top with Minwax, ‘Jacobean’ Wood Finish Stain, and Wipe-On Poly ~ for an eye-catching two-toned transformation
- Purchased and installed Single-Bead Suite II hardware from Lee Valley ~ a lovely old brass set of handles, knobs and escutcheons
- Applied 2 coats of Country Chic Paint in the colour ‘Sunday Tea’ to the interior cupboard ~ a warm greyish colour, not quite grey and not quite beige; resulting in the most charming neutral tone
- Decoupaged interior cupboard, and all drawers with Re-Design with Prima’s Botanical Imprint Decoupage Decor Tissue Paper ~ I’m like seriously swooning over this… so much, I’m adding some of Prima’s products to my online store to share in the goodness with Canadian and Manitoban neighbours
- Reinstalled mirror ~ always tougher than uninstalling… but ones gotta do what ones gotta do
“If you judge a book by it’s cover, you just might miss out on an amazing story!” — I’m so glad I didn’t judge this piece when I came across it in such a dreadful state… for among its’ tired tatter, there was so very much to be discovered and restored! A classic vintage statement piece brought back to life with a perfect shade of black, new but aged suite of brass hardware, antique tin tile upcycling, and a decoupage paper that adds the perfect feminine touch to a very masculine buffet. A blacknificent and timeless piece that will be sure to make a statement, while also offering an abundance of storage space.
* All of my furniture pieces are preloved, with expected signs of age and use — sweet imperfections which I believe adds to their unique character and charm.
❤️ This Blacknificent Empire Buffet ~ SOLD to Kristyn ❤️
DIMENSIONS: 40″+20″ H x 46″ W x 22″ D
I hope you visit again! My #farmlifebestlife awaits more simple living, generous loving and constant learning — graced with an abundance of farmhouse chic character and sweet imperfections, both for me and for YOU! ❤️
This post contains non-affiliate links to products I personally use, trust, and highly recommend, for which some I receive limited free use of.
I invite you to learn more about the exquisitely charming Country Chic Paint products that I am over the moon in LOVE with, and use in MANY of my transformations. Find them on Facebook, Instagram and Pinterest.
Get 10% OFF Your First Country Chic Paint Order (see image below for coupon code)
Shop online at Country Chic Paint today! ❤️