Since my teen years, I have spent much of my time at a keyboard. Computer work has always come naturally to me, and is likely my best skill… what started-off as keyboarding, led to word processing, to then desktop publishing, to then (and still today) web development and design. Although my ‘beloved’ computer is work that I quite enjoy, in 2017 I found myself searching for a creativity that would allow me to curiously make mistakes and embrace sweet imperfections — enjoy simpler pleasures in a carefree and forgiving way… thus my #farmlifebestlife lead off. <3
I’ve had such a fun opportunity transforming what were once 10-foot church pews into 5-foot benches over the past few months. My first of 3 has a lovely timeworn feel, the second is cozy and comforting, and for this last of the 3, I wanted it to be completely carefree, pleasantly old, and gracefully worn.
My carefree n’ country chic transformation process:
- Disassembled original 10-foot length ~ oh so very carefully
- Stored-away one of the 5-foot lengths and unfinished-middle-end ~ for another future bench transformation/restoration project
- Secured finished-end to the 5-foot length ~ to achieve matching-ends
- Lightly sanded down entire piece ~ to remove flaking finish and to prepare for product adhesion
- Thoroughly vacuumed and washed entire piece ~ certainly required before transforming any piece of preloved furniture
- Applied 1 coat of Country Chic Paint in the colour ‘Liquorice’ to the entire piece ~ a deep black that can be either classic and timeless, or elegant and modern
- Applied 1 coat of Country Chic Paint in the colour ‘Bliss’ (customized with equal part of the colour ‘Crinoline’) ~ a stunning, muted turquoise perfect for every project from vintage to modern to farmhouse-chic
- Wet Distressed entire piece ~ in effort to bring the ‘Liquorice’ colour through
- Applied 1 coat of Varathane’s ‘Diamond Wood Finish‘ (water-based, satin) to the entire piece ~ for a highly durable finish
- Was not overly pleased with what I thought was going to be all steps in my transformation, so proceeded in a carefree manner with additional steps until I was pleased:
- Wet Distressed ~ for additional shabby distress
- Applied 2 coats of Varathane’s ‘Diamond Wood Finish‘ (water-based, satin) to the entire piece ~ to achieve a crystal clear, water-resistant, and highly durable finish
- Cut some of my peonies that were in full bloom for staging ~ always a bright shining star in my perennial garden 💗 🌸
A light n’ airy, coastal n’ carefree, country cottage chic bench for YOU. An unpretentious piece that will melt worries away like lemon drops; while heartening all sweet imperfections and simple pleasures. Relaxed harmony, pleasant age, and forgiving charm — for extra seating at your dinner table, warm welcome in your foyer, cozy charm at the foot of your bed, or rustic happiness for that special nook in your home or cottage.
* All of my furniture pieces are preloved, with expected signs of age and use — sweet imperfections which I believe adds to their unique character and charm.
<3 This Carefree n’ Country Chic Bench ~ Was for YOU <3
DIMENSIONS: 37″ H x 61″ W x 19″ D
I hope you visit again! My #farmlifebestlife awaits more simple living, generous loving and constant learning — graced with an abundance of country chic character and sweet imperfections, both for me and for YOU! <3
This post contains non-affiliate links to products I personally use, trust, and highly recommend, for which some I receive limited free use of.
I invite you to learn more about the exquisitely charming Country Chic Paint products that I am over the moon in LOVE with, and use in MANY of my transformations. Find them on Facebook, Instagram and Pinterest.
Get 10% OFF Your First Country Chic Paint Order (see image below for coupon code)
Shop online at Country Chic Paint today! <3