22+ years I’ve shared a bedroom with my sweetheart… cozy in a queen we certainly have been. Furnished with a handmade suite made for my hubs when he was a young boy… incredibly solid, ridiculously heavy, and unpleasantly 80’s style. Just the thought of me wanting to replace it caused a rift between us… and when I suggested that I paint it — well that almost put me on the couch! I am however just a “tad” persistent… and pretty darn good at patiently convincing! 😉
I’ve been dreaming about making over our bedroom for several years. In addition to my hubs’ push-back, I procrastinated what I knew would be a very time consuming project… so years went by and by. When my Bry suggested we upgrade to a king bed this February, I knew it was now or never to tackle this project. Here’s a few BEFORE pics of our haven:
I actually painted the 2 bedside tables a few years back… when I was first getting into furniture restoration (guinea pig project)… this explains why they don’t look like the matching tallboy and lowboy.
My patient & persistent makeover process:
- Thought about installing DIY hardwood flooring ~ however our Maggie prefers carpet… wood is far too slippery for her lil’ paws 🐶
- Painted walls ~ in a warm/neutral greige
- Painted trim and baseboards ~ in a fresh white
- Took down antique bed frame ~ stored away for a future guest bedroom project
- Purchased and installed 3 old farmhouse doors for headboard ~ this has me swooning
- Purchased a king-size bed ~ how did we ever do without?!
- Accidentally broke lowboy mirror ~ not gonna lose any superstitious sleep over it
- Installed picture (in place of mirror) ~ given to me from a very kind customer
- Purchased new bedding ~ Wamsutta Vintage Evelyn Lace
- Transformed bench, chair, 2 bedside tables, tallboy, lowboy (YA… a tonne of work and time):
- Removed hardware ~ while dreaming of replacing one day
- Thoroughly vacuumed and washed ~ certainly required before transforming any piece of preloved furniture
- Applied 2 coats of Country Chic Paint in the colour ‘Cobblestone’ ~ a warm mid-tone grey that’s perfect for creating both modern and timeless vintage looks
- Sanded down for a buttery smooth and slightly distressed finish ~ for the farmhouse chic look I adore and always strive for
- Applied 2 coats of Varathane’s ‘Diamond Wood Finish‘ (water-based, satin) ~ to achieve a crystal clear, water-resistant, and highly durable finish
- OH… and I even painted our ceiling fan blades ~ OCD satisfying!
My cozy and quaint labour of love — charmed with warm mid-tone grey’s, inviting neutral’s, and fresh clean white’s. Texture infused, timelessly vintage, and farm charm accentuated by me for us! I am ultra elated to have finally finished this project (3-month span in my ‘spare’ time), and my King openly admits that I was right… his childhood bedroom suite is far more appealing since I got my hands on it — HA his Queen told him so! A whole lotta patience and some heavy persistence! We are sure to rest sweetly within our refreshing retreat for another 22+ years!
* All of my furniture pieces are preloved, with expected signs of age and use — sweet imperfections which I believe adds to their unique character and charm.
❤ This Patient & Persistent Bedroom Makeover ~ is for US ❤
I hope you visit again! My #farmlifebestlife awaits more simple living, generous loving and constant learning — graced with an abundance of country chic character and sweet imperfections, both for me and for YOU! ❤
This post contains non-affiliate links to products I personally use, trust, and highly recommend, for which some I receive limited free use of.
I invite you to learn more about the exquisitely charming Country Chic Paint products that I am over the moon in LOVE with, and use in MANY of my transformations. Find them on Facebook, Instagram and Pinterest.
Get 10% OFF Your First Country Chic Paint Order (see image below for coupon code)
Shop online at Country Chic Paint today! ❤️