I’m a lil’ sista… to 2 older brothers… all 3 of us were born within a 28-month period. Yes, apparently that’s very possible, and our parents might have been a lil’ crazy at the time… or naive, or brave… or newly in love. <3
Being the only lil’ sista to big brothers comes with many solid truths:
- Baby pictures of you (just you) are few and far between — nothing a lil’ therapy can’t resolve
- You’re either shy or super loud — those that know me, know loud and clearly that I’m very much the latter
- You had intensive training in your younger years, and are stronger than an ox — there’s nothing or no one I can’t take down if needed
- You will always be the one that gets stuck on the cot when staying in a hotel room — this defines unfairness
- You can pretty much get away with anything — by the time I did anything wrong or bad, it was old hat
- You will always be Mum n’ Dad’s little girl — nana-nana boo-boo
- If you have a boy n’ a girl one day, you will always side with the girl — sorry my son Matt, I come by this very honestly
But most of all, you are grateful. You have someone to look out for you like no other, and side with in (almost) all matters. You wouldn’t trade your big brothers for the world… but you might negotiate.
My Dad picked-up this charming lil’ dresser for my brothers bedroom when they were just wee tots. I may or may not have been given their hand-me-down dresser at the time. 😏
BUT if I was given their hand-me-down at the time, that no longer matters. Because in the end after MANY years of this dresser being in our family, it’s now mine! Nana-nana boo-boo! 😛
My things have always been so much prettier than my brothers things! This lil’ dresser is of no exception. There is no denying that my transformation is FAR prettier than what this piece looked like when it was my brothers! My nana-nana boo-boo transformation went like this:
- Removed the original hardware from drawers ~ that I had every intention in maintaining as-is
- Built a new frame for the busted bottom drawer ~ that my brothers were most definitely responsible for breaking
- Lightly sanded down the body ~ including the crayon marks that were also most definitely the doing of my brothers
- Heavily sanded down the top and front legs ~ for the two-toned transformation I had in mind
- Gave entire piece a good vacuum and cleaning ~ something my brothers were incapable of doing in our younger years
- Applied 3 coats of Country Chic Paint’s ‘All-In-One Decor Paint’ in the colour ‘Vanilla Frosting’ to the body) ~ the most charming farmhouse white… oh how I miss the lil’ farmhouse we spent our earliest years in — which is where this dresser would have first settled when my Dad purchased it (used) 45+ years ago
- Sanded down the body (copiously in desired areas) ~ for the distressed and sweetly imperfected farmhouse chic look I desired
- Applied 2 coats of Country Chic Paint’s ‘Hemp Oil‘ to the body, top and front legs for light protection ~ 100% all-natural sustainably sourced from Canadian farmers
- Reinstalled original hardware ~ just as-is in it’s rusty tattered n’ well-aged condition (perfect)
When my brothers handed this sweet lil’ chest of drawers down to me, I was firmly told — “You can do whatever you want with it Faye… but don’t you dare try and sell it.” After all these years, my brothers clearly don’t know me at all! Seriously… did they actually think for a second that I would try and sell it?! Sheesh! C’mon boys! Transformed with much love for ME! A charming piece that will forever hold many and create many more good memories! Thank you for the hand-me-down boys! <3
Similar to Willie Nelson’s lil’ sista Bobbie (as seen in this awesome vid), this lil’ sista Faye most definitely played it while transforming this dresser! Play it Lil’ Sista!
I hope you visit again! My #farmlifebestlife awaits more simple living, generous loving and constant learning — graced with an abundance of country chic character and sweet imperfections, both for me and for YOU! ❤
This post contains non-affiliate links to products I personally use, trust, and highly recommend, for which some I receive limited free use of.
I invite you to learn more about the exquisitely charming Country Chic Paint products that I am over the moon in LOVE with, and use in ALL of my transformations. Find them on Facebook, Instagram and Pinterest.