Surprises are so sweet aren’t they? Well I certainly had a very sweet surprise when I brought this solid set home! I found it for sale online listed as a ‘coffee table with matching end tables’ — and that’s what I understood it to be when I picked it up and hauled it home.
When my son and I were unloading it, I almost dropped the “coffee table”… because the top of it, wasn’t a top… it was a LID! This is not just a coffee table friends… it’s also a cedar chest! WHOA sweet surprise! <3
I pondered my transformation for this set for quite some time! Many people ask me how I choose my colour(s)! Well… I sleep on it, I dream about it, I sip on red wine thinking about it, I gulp coffee over it, I decide and then change my mind again-and-again… and then all of a sudden it comes to me!
For this particular set, I chose one of my favourite Country Chic Paint colours… ‘Sunday Tea’ — which I refer to as GREIGE — the most delightful combination of GREY and BEIGE… a charming and warm country cottage colour!
After choosing my colour, I could hardly wait to get started on my transformation:
- Removed all hardware ~ unfortunately 2 knobs were missing from chest
- Stripped and sanded chest lid and table tops ~ a dirty job, but this gal doesn’t mind doing it
- Gave pieces a well needed deep cleaning ~ water and vinegar is all you need
- Applied 3 coats of Country Chic Paint’s ‘All-In-One Decor Paint’ in the colour ‘Sunday Tea’ to the chest and tables bodies ~ GREIGE… the perfect country cottage combination of GREY and BEIGE
- Sanded the chest and tables bodies ~ for a farmhouse distressed, and sweetly imperfected look
- Applied 1 coat of Country Chic Paint’s ‘Natural Wax‘ to the chest and tables bodies ~ for a protective and buttery-smooth finish
- Stained (3 coats) and varnished (3 coats) the chest lid and table tops with Varathane’s ‘Premium Wood Stain’ in the colour ‘American Walnut’, and ‘Premium Clear Finish 1200 Matte Oil Based’
- Re-installed original hinge hardware on inside of chest
- Purchased and installed the most perfect complimentary set of new hardware from Lee Valley ~ hands down my favourite store for charming hardware
Oh how sweetly this solid and timeless set could settle into your home or cottage! The top of the cedar chest not only offers a place to set books, beverages and more… its’ inside also provides space for storing pillows and throws! The matching tables could sit ever-so-sweetly alongside a sofa and/or chair(s) for you to rest decor and other items on… while you enjoy comfortable and relaxing moments at home or while resting at your cottage. Perhaps you’ll decide to use the tables as night-stands, and the chest for storing linens at the foot of your bed! YOU decide where this country cottage set will add much charm to your home or cottage!
<3 This Country Cottage Chest & Table Set SOLD to Natalie <3
Dimensions (chest): 20.5” H x 46” W x 27” D
Dimensions (tables): 24.5” H x 22” W x 22” D
I hope you visit again! My #farmlifebestlife awaits more simple living, generous loving and constant learning — graced with an abundance of country chic character and sweet imperfections, both for me and for YOU! ❤
This post contains non-affiliate links to products I personally use, trust, and highly recommend, for which some I receive limited free use of.
I invite you to learn more about the exquisitely charming Country Chic Paint products that I am over the moon in LOVE with, and use in ALL of my transformations. Find them on Facebook, Instagram and Pinterest.