I try my best to not complain, and when I ever do — shame on me. I have a pretty sweet life. So sweet in fact, I have to pinch myself daily and give bundles of thanks. However amidst that super sweet life, there are times that I can be a lil’ spoiled and greedy. Such as when I come across a piece such as this, and want it sooooo badly for myself, and realize I simply cannot have it.
This delightful antique buffet / sideboard is charmingly chippy, sweetly imperfected, pleasantly distressed, graced with detailed character, farmhouse fabulous, and oh so very attractive! And I want her OH SOOOOO BADLY for ME! But I simply cannot have her — only because she won’t fit in our small farmhouse that is already fully furnished… so she’s FOR YOU… and I look forward to seeing her find the PERFECT home, where she’ll continue her sweet story! <3
So there was this young sweet gal, that was preparing for a move and wanted to part with this ever-so-sweet antique buffet. She listed it for FREE if you can believe it?! And it understandably was spoken for within minutes of going online! And I thought to myself: “Oh young sweet gal, you certainly should get SOMETHING for this delightful piece!”… so I made her an offer, and the next morning I was in this young sweet gal’s dining room — and she was telling me how the piece belonged to her husbands’ Grandmother and that it was handed down to them, but that they were tired of it. Oh dear young sweet gal… not to worry, I’ll gladly take it off your hands!
This buffet beauty was beyond THIRSTY for a furniture flip! YES… I could have taken an unpretentious route, but what fun is that?! This striking mature woman, was most deserving of the colour SAGE ADVICE, and that my friends is what I gave her. And will she fit in EVERY home? Heck no?! But I with most certainty know that there is most certainly a home for her, and she will find her way there! <3
While I was working on her transformation, I imagined the home that she might become a part of one day. A home that appreciates and loves sweet imperfections. A home that embraces life’s flaws, and gives thanks for every day. A home where she’ll spend many sweet years, amidst many sweet memories. THIS is how things went for me, while I was imagining her new home:
- Gave entire piece a well needed deep cleaning, and removed hardware ~ water and vinegar does the trick
- Stripped and sanded her surface ~ getting naked is a good thing, and ultimate protection I knew was required for her surface
- Applied 2 coats stain, and 3 coats varnish to her surface with Minwax ‘Wood Finish’ in the colour ‘Early American 230’, followed by Varathane’s ‘Fast Drying Professional Premium Clear Finish 1200 Satin Oil Based’
- Applied 2 coats of Country Chic Paint’s ‘All-In-One Decor Paint’ in the colour ‘Sage Advice’ to her body and drawers ~ because that my friends is the sweet colour she so very much deserved
- Gave body and drawers a light sand, and distressed in desired areas ~ for a charming timeworn look and feel
- Wet distressed body and drawers ~ for the chippy effect I wanted her to have
- Applied 1 coat of Country Chic Paint’s ‘Furniture Glaze‘ in the colour ‘Tiger’s Eye’ to her body and drawers ~ for a sweetly imperfected patina look
- Topped off her body and drawers with Country Chic Paint’s ‘Tough Coat‘ for maximum protection ~ a water and scratch resistant sealant
- Lined her drawers with a charming adhesive ~ icing on the cake dear peeps
Now somebody please tell me?! How do I part with thee?! Why oh why can’t our home accommodate her?! 😢
I know… It will be OK… if I find JUST the right family and home for her! I know there’s someone out there that will love her just as much, if not more than I do! <3
This Dearest Buffet that I Didn’t Want to Part with SOLD to Faith!
I hope you visit again! My #farmlifebestlife awaits more simple living, generous loving and constant learning — graced with an abundance of country chic character and sweet imperfections, both for me and for YOU! ❤
This post contains non-affiliate links to products I personally use, trust, and highly recommend, for which some I receive limited free use of.
I invite you to learn more about the exquisitely charming Country Chic Paint products that I am over the moon in LOVE with, and use in ALL of my transformations. Find them on Facebook, Instagram and Pinterest.