In the 18th and 19th century, achievement of a parlour room (where one might furnish a parlour table), was a marker of social status—evidence that you had risen above the majority who lived in one or two rooms. As the parlour was the room in which the larger world encountered the private sphere of middle class life, the family’s face to the world, it was invariably the best room in the home.
Well… although our farm house may not be a “marker of social status”, it’s our home that we love and are so thankful to have (where EVERY room is our “best room”)! AND… it currently holds this beyond elegant, Duncan Phyfe parlour table that I lovingly restored — which could and would furnish any class of home delightfully! <3
I’ve been dreaming of coming across a parlour table for several months, and I was delighted to find this most elegant one, at one of my local thrift stores! Although this was my highest-price furniture restoration purchase to-date, I just had to have it… as I know these beautiful antique pieces are hard to come by! Luckily, it only required a little mending… therefore I was able to add some shabby farmhouse chic to it shortly after bringing it home. My patient and enthusiastic process went like this:
- Stained and varnished top with Varathane’s ‘Premium Wood Stain’ in the colour ‘American Walnut’, and ‘Fast Drying Professional Clear Finish 1100 Satin Oil Based’
- Applied 2 coats of Country Chic Paint’s ‘All-In-One Decor Paint’ in the most elegant colour ‘Elegance’ to the body
- Lightly distressed body with sanding block (this step gives it the most delightful ‘buttery’ feeling)
- Applied 1 coat of Country Chic Paint’s ‘Antiquing Wax’ to the body (this product gives it that antique look that I LOVE)
- Applied 1 coat of Country Chic Paint’s ‘Natural Wax’ to the body (this product gives it extra protection from wear and tear)
- Installed new hardware for drawer pull (this was my final touch of LOVE)
I do believe that the best journey always takes us home. My wish for you is that your journeys (whether simple or extravagant), always take you safely back to a home filled with comfort, shelter, love and respect. And what charm this elegant lil’ parlour table could add to your abode!
I hope you visit again! My #farmlifebestlife awaits more simple living, generous loving and constant learning — graced with an abundance of country chic character and sweet imperfections, both for me and for YOU! <3